Thursday, April 15, 2010

Recovery - week two

My surgery was last Monday, April 5th. After surgery I was told I looked great with color in my face and a certain peace about me. My friends and family came to visit me every day and kept me distracted. I was hooked up to IV's, a pain pump inserted into my breasts and was given pain meds for my abdomen. The medicine was doing its job for although I felt drowsy and tired and some pressure on my chest and abs I can't say I felt any real pain. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing.

So the first week I thought passed quickly between sleeping, eating and healing. Coming home is a different story. You are thrilled to be home in a more comfortable setting but nothing is really the same. I can't DO anything. I am mostly confined to my bed with lots of pillows propping me up. I can not lay straight as it will pull the abdominal area. I need to be at an angle at all times including standing up straight. Aharon is a genius when is comes to knowing just what the right pillow combination is for anything I am doing whether it be eating, sleeping, watching TV, or just rest mode. I try to come downstairs once a day usually in the evening to have dinner with my family around the table. It makes me feel normal. The pain meds still make me feel drowsy which I don't like but realize that I need them. I tried Advil today which did the trick until about 4:30 whereby I woke up from my nap in excruciating pain. I felt like someone had ripped off my chest and stomach. I felt a burning sensation as well as tremendous pressure. Monica gave me my meds immediately which thankfully brought me back to normal.
Lesson: do not go off the meds cold turkey. I will now try one pain med with two advil.

I am also feeling up to having a guest or two during the day so people are starting to visit. Although we have always had our dear friends beside us every day.

Life is simple now. Finding a comfortable position, staying pain free and relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment