Monday, April 12, 2010

Recovery

The next few days of recovery were busy with a stream of friends at my bedside from morning until night. I was hooked up to IV's , drains and a pain bag. Aharon was there every minute of the day helping me with everything. I was told I looked good and had good color. By day two I was walking to the bathroom a few times a day and by day three I was walking down the hall.



The pain meds are doing their job and are allowing me to stay as comfortable as possible.



I was discharged last Thursday with my drain bags and pain pump which travel with me everywhere as they are surgically attached. I should get them off at the end of this week.



The goal is to be comfortable and pain free. Aharon is a whizard at finding just the right pillow combinations for me at any given time of day. I am so grateful to all the women I spoke to that had gone through this. They gave me the BEST advise on what I would need for afterwards. Something the doctors and nurses never tell you. Here is a list of what to get:



A wedge (foam pillow from Bed Bath and Beyond) to put on your bed . you can not lie straight in bed and need to be elevated a all times.



Pillows of all sizes and firmness. You need a pillow under your back, under your head and under your knees to avoid back pain.



There are also special moon shaped pillow made for breast cancer that can go under your armpits and other places that are very comforting. Thanks Paula!



Pijamas - My friends bought me new PJ's knowing I don't own any. They are either wrap around or button down with draw string pants. Hospital gowns are the best in the hospital with the opening in the back for obvious reasons. less is more.



My baby bottle - water bottle that contours to make holding it easy. You are very thirsty and constantly need to drink water and can't lift anything heavier than a feather.



A toilet seat riser for the obvious reasons. I had the stomach surgery for reconstruction so every lift and bend is painful.



A comfortable office chair with arms. You can not lie down all day and its nice to take breaks on a chair.



I prepared comfortable clothes on a bench in my room for easy access and availablity but am sill in my PJ's.



My ipod was loaded with relaxing music as it is hard to focus on TV or read at this stage.

Get well cards are sooo welcome and nice to read.



Food - we have wonderful friends who have delivered food everyday and Monica is coordinating future deliverys. It is a wonderful welcome gesture and helps us a lot.



Guests - It is a welcome distraction to have visitors but I have to be careful not to overdo it because it is exhausting.



My netbook is coming in handy and I can finally get on it after a week. thank goodness for my Blackberry. even that feels heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment