Monday, April 26, 2010

Turning a Corner

Its 3 weeks today after my surgery and I feel that I am turning the corner to a new phase of my recovery. I am no longer in a medicated stupor where I don't know nor care what day it is, can't focus on a book or TV and just doing little normal things like going to the bathroom and taking a shower are my daily pleasures and goals.

I got my remaining two drains out on Saturday since one of them was leaking and my Doctor had me come in to remove them. It was a beautiful sunny day and My Team was at the Ringwood Park and Ride hosting my annual Shredding Event along with Caring For Ringwood Day. I made Aharon stop by on the way back and stayed of about an hour sitting and enjoying seeing my clients and the rest of the community come and go with their shreddables as my daughters, Monica and Jaymee, along with Cathy and Noreen handing out my now "pink" going green grocery bags. We did a photo op which we posted on Facebook. It felt wonderful to be doing something. I came home to eat lunch and then go down for a nap. All in all a wonderful day.

Sunday was a rainy drizzling day when I awoke. Aharon went to play his weekly soccer game so Tara , me oldest daughter, made me breakfast as we watched TV and caught up. Monica and Jaymee joined us a few hours later waking up late from their respective Saturday night activities.
How wonderful to enjoy a Sunday morning with all three of my girls at home each helping me in her way. We then went to visit my mother at Rehab against all my friends advise. I know I shouldn't be exposing myself to germs and taking a chance on getting an infection but I just had to lift her spirits and mine and make sure she was OK. I sat by her bed while she squeezed my hand so tightly I wanted to cry. The girls fed her fruit and gave her water. We stayed for a good hour and then I went home emotionally and physically exhausted to my own bed and my nap.

I am beginning to feel better whereby I can be a bit more mobile and am on my little Netbook more.
Aharon knows that this is the stage where he really needs to watch me as my mind wants and thinks it can do more but the body is not ready and still needs to take its time healing. I don't want to feel like a wimp or a lazy person but also don't want to push myself and do damage. As always, life is about balance.

So I sit here watching the View ( I hate daytime TV), answering emails, blogging and thinking what I will do next. I have a wonderful visitor coming after lunch to see me and I am so looking forward to that. Ronnie Laiken who was the President of Coldwell Banker until last year and a more importantly an amazing woman and friend.

So all in all, I am taking my time and making sure that I heal and recovery at the pace that my body needs to.

I am still receiving flowers, fruit and cards and I sooooo appreciate the love and support. It is very important to continue staying in touch with the people in your life that are facing adversity constantly and not just in the beginning to make sure they don't feel abandoned. Depression and melancholy aren't far and its important to keep them at bay with the love and support from those around you. I have always had a good positive attitude but I too am only human and know that I am allowed to have my moments.

2 comments:

  1. Orly, it was great to speak to you on the phone and to hear your cheerful voice. I am so impressed with your positive attitude throughout this challenging and difficult time in your life. Your ability to take each day at a time and focus your energy on healing is wonderful.
    As you begin to feel stronger each day I know you will try to remember to nourish yourself and rest so you don't deplete your energy especially as you begin to shift your focus from yourself to your mother.
    Rather than allowing this experience to push you out of balance you chose to educate yourself, took lessons from others before you who had experience with breast cancer, and now you are illuminating and supporting others who may face the same procedures with this blog. You are truly amazing!
    Yaron and I wish you a speedy recovery one day at a time and look forward to seeing you soon! Love, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orly, u r awesome! =0) Michael

    ReplyDelete