Thursday, April 1, 2010

Getting ready: A chair, electric razor and a netbook

On Tuesday I went for my pre-op appt with my breast surgeon. As Dr. McIntosh drew a picture of my body explaining what would be happening and where the incisions would be including the scarring, I noticed that she only drew one breast but attributed that to using the one side as an example of what would be happening to both sides. She continued to explain that I would have two drains coming out of my stomach and one coming out of the right breast that we (Aharon) would need to drain twice a day for up to two weeks. I asked about the second drain for the left breast and was greeted with a wide eyed look of confusion. Dr. McIntosh was not informed by my plastic surgeon that we would be doing both sides. She was taken aback but immediately started to make calls getting us another operating room as we would need more time. Whew! That was a close call.

Unfortunately the Doctors are not as informative as I believe they should be in preparing you for what to prepare before and after the surgery. It is your responsibility to do some research and speak to other patients to gather that vital information.

After speaking to a few patients, Aharon and I proceeded to getting the item that I would need to make me more comfortable. I will not be able to lift more than 5 lbs after the surgery so I decided to get a NetBook (mini laptop) that I can use afterwards to be in touch by email. The NetBook weighs 2.7Lbs. While at Staples I decided to get a comfortable Office Chair that I could keep in my bedroom allowing me to sit up during the day and not have to lay in bed all day which will hurt my back. I am also prepared to purchase a Tend Machine which Chiropractors use to alleviate back pain. I occasionally suffer from lower back pain and the surgery will be removing my stomach muscle putting more pressure on my back.

I was also told you are not allowed to shave afterwards so I bought an electric shaver (pink).
While at Walgreens I bought a few magazines I never have time to read and some thank you cards.

I've already cleaned out my underwear drawer to make sure I have comfortable ones and that the drawer is neat in case my support staff needs to access it. My toilet kit is in place for the hospital but I still need to figure out the most comfortable outfit to wear when I get released.
Yoga pants and one of Aharon's button down flannel shirts to cover the drains and bandages.

These are only some of the things only other women can tell you. Why can't they have a checklist like they have for kids who go away to summer sleep away camp?

I will attempt to put one together afterwards and include the things I missed and wished I would have had for the next woman who has to go through this.

I don't want to leave out mental preparation, excercise and oils. Good thoughts, positive messages and books are all good to read to keep the upbeat positive energy flowing. I am still excercising to keep my body as strong as possible as I will need to learn to use different muscles afterwards and want to be able to heal quickly. I was also given some sesame oil to rub on my body everyday to allow the skin to heal faster. I feel like I am basting myself like a turkey every morning and wondering if the surgeons will find me moist and tender and they make the first cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment